Snoring is a very common problem, affecting about 15 million men and women in France. This annoying noise can disturb your sleep as well as that of your partner.
Snoring occurs when throat structures vibrate and begin to produce noise. It is often considered a sleep disorder and heavy snoring can have serious medical and social consequences.
So, if you snore regularly, it is necessary to take action to fix this problem. Remember that everyone needs rest, and by snoring, your nights just can not be so peaceful and recovering.
Many products are available to treat snoring, but most of them have not been effective. There is no miracle cure for snoring, but some lifestyle changes and simple home remedies can bring great help in controlling it.
The anti-inflammatory properties of peppermint help to reduce the swelling of the membranes of the lining of the throat and nostrils, thus promoting easy and gentle breathing. Peppermint is a well-functioning remedy for temporary snoring due to an allergy, cold or dry air.
- Add 1 or 2 drops of peppermint essential oil to a glass of water. Gargle with before going to bed. Make sure you do not swallow this solution. Renew daily until you get the desired result.
- If dry air and congestion cause your snoring, add a few drops of peppermint oil (you can also use Eucalyptus EO) to a humidifier about 30 minutes before going to bed and put it on on the way. Let the humidifier run all night. This will help you open your airways and prevent you from snoring.
- You can also rub some peppermint oil under your nose and on either side of your nostrils before going to bed.
2. Olive oil
Being a strong anti-inflammatory agent, olive oil softens the tissues along the airways, which reduces their swelling and allows a free passage of air. It can also reduce pain. Use this remedy regularly to also reduce vibrations in the throat and stop snoring.
- Take 2 or 3 sips of olive oil before going to bed every day.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and 1/2 tsp honey, and take this potion before going to bed.
Nasal congestion is one of the main reasons for snoring. One of the best ways to reduce congestion is to inhale the steam.
- Pour boiling water into a large bowl.
- Add 3 or 4 drops of eucalyptus essential oil or tea tree essential oil.
- Hold a towel over your head and inhale the vapor deeply through your nose for 10 minutes.
- Follow this remedy every day before going to bed until you are free from congestion.
4. Clarified butter
Clarified butter, also known as ghee, has certain medicinal properties that can help open blocked nasal passages. This will help you less snore and sleep better.
- Lightly heat some clarified butter in a bain-marie.
- Use a dropper to drop 3 drops of warm ghee into each nostril.
- Do this every day before going to bed and again in the morning at sunrise.
Cardamom is an expectorant and a decongestant, which makes it effective for opening blocked nasal passages. The free passage of air will result in less snoring.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder to a glass of warm water.
- Drink this preparation 30 min before going to bed.
- Do this everyday to gradually reduce your snoring.
An antiseptic and potent antibiotic, turmeric can treat inflammation and help reduce snoring. It should be used with almond milk or hazelnut to treat snoring. The following drink will help you breathe freely while you sleep and also boost your immune system.
- Add 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder to a glass of warm almond milk.
- Drink it 30 minutes before going to bed.
- Do it every day.
If you snore only at a given time of the year, it may be due to a seasonal allergy causing inflammation of the nasal passages. This type of temporary snoring can be treated with nettle which has anti-inflammatory properties as well as antihistamine properties.
- Add a tablespoon of dried nettle leaves in a cup of boiling water.
- Infuse for five minutes, then drain.
- Drink this hot tea just before bedtime.
- Drink two to three cups of
Infusion of nettle leaves every day during the allergy season can prevent snoring.
Garlic helps reduce mucus buildup in the nasal passages as well as inflammation in the respiratory system. So, if you snore because of a sinus blockage, garlic can relieve you.
- Chew one to two cloves of raw garlic and then drink a glass of water. Do this every day, preferably before bedtime to enjoy a deep sleep and reduce snoring.
- Also use garlic by adding raw to your dinner.
Another option for snorers is honey. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, honey can reduce swelling around the throat area that can obstruct the airways. In addition, honey lubricates the throat, which prevents snoring vibrations from occurring.
- Mix a tablespoon of honey in a glass of warm water and drink it before bedtime. Do it every day.
- Alternatively, you can use honey to sweeten the infusion of plants you like to drink after your dinner.
Chamomile has well-known anti-inflammatory effects that can help stop snoring. It is also a relaxant of the nerves and muscles, which can relieve the muscles and nerves stretched around the throat and help you sleep better.
- Add a tablespoon of chamomile flowers (or chamomile in sachet) for a cup of water.
- Boil for about 15 minutes.
- Drain and add a teaspoon of honey.
- Drink hot tea before going to bed.
Some additional tips that can help stop snoring:
- If you are overweight, lose weight. People who are overweight have more flesh in the throat, which contributes to snoring.
- Sleep on your side rather than your back. When you sleep on your back, your tongue and soft palate rest against the back of your throat, blocking the airways and causing snoring.
- Raise the head of your bed about 10 cm or use extra pillows to prevent the throat tissue from falling into your airways.
- Use nasal strips to help you breathe easily while you sleep.
- Avoid alcoholic drinks at least two hours before bedtime. Alcohol can depress your central nervous system, causing snoring.
- Try to sing before going to bed. Singing helps to improve muscle control of the soft palate and upper throat.
- Stop smoking or reduce consumption as this can irritate the lining of the nasal cavity and throat, causing swelling and eventually snoring.
Source : Top 10 Home Remedies